"We proclaim to you what we have seen and heard,
so that you also may have fellowship with us.
And our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son, Jesus Christ."
- 1 John 1:3 -

Thursday, February 18, 2010

An Orange-Tinted Lesson in Giving

This morning my dad was passing through the area for work and, because I hadn't seen him in quite some time, he stopped by campus to say hello and bring me some things. I had a fairly light lunch, so I decided a few hours later that I would have one of the oranges he brought. As a sat alone in my room trying to peel the orange with a dull plastic knife and messily eating it, I thought about all the oranges I still had. My roommate loves fruit, so I planned to offer her a few of them when I see her later on tonight. I noticed then all of the other bags filled with snack mixes, breakfast bars, soup and whatever else. I could never eat it all; it's too much.

In my life I have been blessed with many material things. I've always had plenty of food, a solid roof over my head, a warm bed on cold winter nights and a fan or air conditioner to camp out next to in the heat of the summer. As I looked at those bags of food and started planning what I would offer to my friends and what I would keep for myself, something hit me: Would I ever be willing to give all of it away?

I like to think that I am a generous person. I am quick to offer help or lend an ear to a hurting friend when I can, and I am quick to give what I can to those in need; but the key word there is "can." I offer what I can, but never everything that I have. When I realized this, an immense feeling of shame swept over me.

I thought about Jesus. I thought about how, though this world is fallen and sick, He willingly was tortured, beaten and left to die on a cross for its sake. How, out of love, He was wiling to give everything He had for a world that didn't deserve it. How He was willing to die for us. How He was willing to die for me.

I felt like a hypocrite. And in a way, I was.

There I was, a Christian, selfishly choosing what I wanted to keep for myself -- instead of being willing to give it all away in the name of love.

For us to truly be called disciples of Jesus, we must pick up our crosses and follow Him (Matthew 16:24). This means following His example in all things, but particularly by giving to others freely and lovingly, just as He gave up His very life for us.

In 2 Corinthians 9:6-8, we read, "Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you so that in all things, at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work."

My prayer is this: Jesus, Giver of Life, help me to remember your sacrifice on the cross by presenting me with opportunities where I may give fully to others, as You have given Yourself fully for me. Soften my heart, Lord, so that I may give cheerfully to all whom You place in my path. Show Your great love to this world by allowing me to sow generously into the lives of others, just as You have sown seeds of hope, love and life in me. Amen.

Today's reading: 2 Corinthians 9:6-8

And, if anyone would like some oranges or cereal bars, be sure to let me know! :)

Agape,
Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment